Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Dilemma (and joys!) of a Pregnant Woman

Before and foremost, let me say that I love being pregnant and enjoy it most of the time (its just that sometimes I feel so heavy and tired and nobody likes that). 

Pregnancy is one of the most important events in a woman’s life. Especially in cases like ours where we waited for this for a very long time. I had mixed emotions the moment I saw those 2 lines (positive!) on the pregnancy test. First reaction was disbelief. I thought my eyes are just teasing me or it could be that the test malfunctioned and registered 2 lines by error, so I asked the maid to buy another one just to be sure. Same result. Waiting for this to happen for ages, I was still in shock and just couldn’t believe it. Few days later, I told hubby I want to buy another test just to make sure that it’s still gonna be 2 lines, so we did. Mind you, this was already after check-up with my OB-gyne. I only stopped buying those little strips after my doctor told me that no matter how many tests I do the result will be the same.

When I was already 3 months on the way and supposed to be in the “lihi” stage I was still very energetic, a little yabang actually 'coz I didn’t have nausea spells, cravings in the wee hours nor dizziness. I was saying to myself, “kala ko mahirap maglihi eh parang wala lang pala. Kayang kaya ko to kahit every year”, with a little smirk on my face. Only to realize I spoke too soon. Few weeks after that I was almost always in tears because I felt like throwing up E-V-E-R-Y-T-I-M-E! Foods I used to love no longer appeal to me. Didn’t like anything with oil, sinigang na salmon belly didn’t look as appetizing and even the McDonald’c fried chicken commercial almost make me want to cry because seeing that golden, deep-fried crispy chicken encourages my insides to rumble. Yes, anything with oil I detested.

Thankfully time passed by so fast and with the growing of my belly comes the fading of that stage. At 5-6 months, I was told a lot of times that I am not as big. Yey! (I thought I am one of those lucky sexy preggy moms-to-be.) But again I think I just spoke to soon. Why didn’t I learn the lesson the first time? My body parts just started growing and growing and expanding. I was in denial; I used to wear size Small or Medium, never Large! But how come even large wouldn’t fit me? I grudgingly picked the next bigger size and even that still looked fitted. Huhuhu… And don’t get me started talking about my feet. I’ve always been a size 7, but how come the saleslady is giving me a size 9 and it fits perfectly?!! Waaaahhh!

Now at 9 months, I walk like a penguin. But I am trying so, so hard to walk with more poise because I thought waddling isn’t just acceptable. But what choice do I have, whether I accept it or not I’d be waddling ‘til Mi Bebe comes out. Most of the time I am happy and simply enjoying the last month of my first journey in mommy-hood, but some other times I feel so uncomfortable. Like when we travel it seems like there’s a watermelon bouncing up and down inside me. So 3 hands support my belly: 2 are mine, the other one is hubby’s free hand. When I see photos of swimming pools, nice beaches, I almost feel sorry for myself because I would really want to have a good swim but am scared of risking anything. It also seemed that both air conditioners at home are not working as efficiently as before because even if I set them on their lowest/coldest temperature it’s still not cold enough for me. I even told hubby once we should have them cleaned because maybe the dirt traps the air. He just laughed and said I am the only one who feels that way. True enough, this morning when I woke up he is literally under the blanket. Yes, from head to foot, covered with kumot, while I, on the other hand kept on adjusting the curtains because I thought its trapping the air again that’s why it isn’t cold enough. And then I heard him say, his eyes still closed, “bakit naman kasi sobrang lamig, hindi naman dapat ganito”. Awww, so it must be really cold!

There are perks too when you are pregnant. And I really am enjoying them. I don't get to fall in line anymore when there's a long que in the bank, people seem to be more helpful, and this one I just discovered recently, I can enter in pay restrooms in malls in Araneta Center without shelling out 10 pesos (free for pregnant, QC residents only). How cool is that! But one thing I enjoy immensely at this time is my regained interest in food. I can finish a whole burger, fries and Coke float in less than 15 minutes and would still be imagining which pizza flavor is the best. Fried chicken makes me smile again and cupcakes make my day. Plus the fact that I am just few weeks/days away from actually seeing our little one makes me glow. I am simply too excited to hold our little darling and wrap her in my arms!

Just one last dilemma though, will it hurt that much to give birth? I am so concerned how’d I behave and look at that time so I asked my OB what I should do. “Just don’t forget to pack your lipstick and camera”, says she. Weeee!!! So that means it won’t be that complicated.  



No comments:

Post a Comment