Friday, October 5, 2012

Mommy Chronicles: The Big Change


Change is inevitable. They say that the only permanent thing in this world is change and I couldn’t agree more. There are times we become so complacent with the usual that when a stir happens to our routine we find it hard to adjust. For some, the change is too big that they find it hard to adapt while there are those who welcome the change as a new venue for opportunities, for betterment, that it brings out the best in them. And I am the latter.

I used to love the corporate world - the challenges, the opportunities and all the recognition it brings. My 9-5 stint was my primary mover and I always looked forward to not only performing my tasks but enhancing my skills as well. I loved donning the usual trousers and blazers. Even the seemingly monotonous office set up and schedule gave me comfort.

My life as an employee seems so distant now. A big change has happened and though I’ve convinced myself that this is the best anyone could have and could dream of, I still miss the rush of the morning hours with the dizzying traffics, project deadlines, and the challenge to prove one’s worth.

Motherhood brought about a whole lot of change in me, in my life, in my routines. Now I wake up early not to avoid traffic, but to change a wet nappy. I stay late at night not because of unfinished project but because baby is still awake and still playing and nobody knows when she’d decide to sleep. Now I don’t have much time for myself not because of deadlines but because I need to give my daughter a bath, give her milk, trim her nails, play with her, check her diaper…the list is endless! I am 24-hour on-call to mommy duties. I worry not about a boss getting upset but my baby getting irritable if I don’t feed her on time. I traded Cosmopolitan for Good Housekeeping and Smart Parenting. My Starbucks mug is now meekly hidden beneath the line of feeding bottles. I used to check out latest car models but now it’s the sight of Chicco, Graco, Enfant strollers that make my heart beat faster.

These changes are not petty that they sometimes make me stop and think: Am I happy? Is this what I want? Am I where I want to be?

My answer: It’s true that I wanted to be professionally successful, to have a rewarding career, to travel. But even though motherhood put a halt in all of these at the moment I can truly say that YES, I am perfectly happy with my life now! I have waited very long for this change to happen, even fervently prayed for it. I had the greatest promotion: from being a simple wife to becoming a mom and a spouse. I am prouder with a baby’s bag in my arm instead of a laptop bag. The 13th month pay/bonuses and the lack of it doesn’t make me sad anymore because each smile from my child, a soft laugh she makes whenever we play together is more than any reward I have ever wanted. Sure I still want to put my skills in good use and be a part of the corporate world, but for now I am content and happier in our own little world called “FAMILY”.  


♕ DADDY'S LITTLE PRINCESS 

 MOMMY'S LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE 


2 comments:

  1. Hi! how much is IUI in the Philippines i read your post on FN that you took fertilaid. I am taking fertilaid now so as DH we've been ttc for almost 6 years. How much is IUI in the Philippines?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, forgive me for the super late reply. It depends on the doctor. But with my ob-gyne one cycle costed around 25 thousand pesos. And that included the medicines, check up fees, laboratories and ultrasounds.

    ReplyDelete