Saturday, March 17, 2012

What Do You Do?

When you're sitting beside someone who seems to have left her manners somewhere, what do you do? When that person is so oblivious to everyone around and just doesn't care whether she is already disturbing those nearby with her endless yawning, stretching, removing of shoes to check her nail polish, burping like she's just finished a hearty meal when in fact it’s already 4 hours past noon (and then you catch the smell of her coffee-laden breath), and then back to square 1 - what do you do?

Yes, I just happened to sit beside her, and no, I am not just being "maarte" or "maselan". My building irritation didn't stem from my pregnancy hormones either. It is just that this person seems to not honor the place she's in. If this happened in a mall or anywhere else there will be no problem because I can just walk away. But that moment and place was too sacred and special for anyone to act like that.

My annoyance was short-lived though for I realized that rudeness reciprocated with rudeness only results in...You guessed it right! Rudeness! So in my mind I was silently trying to understand why she acts like that. Maybe she's bored? She's too young to mind her manners? Or she just simply didn't realize that what she was doing, or what was natural to her isn't very acceptable to everyone. We admire those who act prim and proper and can hold themselves gracefully in any given situation. But I guess we should not hate those who don't.

I am just wondering in cases like these, what should we do?  Do we point it out right then and there or just ignore every movement they do?


No comments:

Post a Comment